Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)

What is an Energy Performance Certificate?

The Energy Performance Certificate, or 'EPC' for short, looks similar to the certificates provided with most domestic appliances such as refrigerators or washing machines, and tells potential buyers how energy efficient a building is, in order that they may consider this factor when choosing to invest or occupy a building.


All EPC's are accompanied with a recommendation report suggesting ways in which the properties energy efficiency may be improved. EPC's for commercial buildings are valid for 10 years or until such time as a more up to date certificate is prepared.

Do I require an EPC?

If you have a building (with roof and walls) that uses energy to condition the indoor climate, such as, heating or air conditioning, you will likely require an EPC.


There are some circumstances in which an Energy Performance Certificate would not be required, such as:


  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings with a planned time of use less than 2 years
  • Stand alone buildings with a total useful floor area of less than 50m2 that are not dwellings
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings with low energy demands

How do I get an Energy Performance Certificate?

By law, only accredited Energy Assessors can produce an EPC for you. Hilton Smythe have a number of connections with such assessors and can arrange for an EPC to be produced for your property.

How much will the EPC cost?

Prices start from as little as £199 + VAT. Contact our services department today on 01204 556 300.


The information on this page has been taken from a publication by and can be found by clicking here.

  • 21/09/17 - 5 things to consider when buying a café

      Introduction When looking to buy an existing business a café sounds like a good bet, the profit margins are good and we can all make a cup a coffee and a sandwich. If you do your research well then pricing can be kept relatively... read more
  • 12/09/17 - 5 things to consider when selling a business

    Selling a business takes a lot of research and preparation, almost as much as when you purchase a business.  It is important to price your business correctly if you are wanting to attract buyers. Research similar businesses and have your... read more